Although University of Oxford colleges have been working with schools across Wales for many years, students from Wales are still under-represented at Oxford and we want this to change. It’s time for a new approach! Here’s our ambassador Tom to tell you more…
Jesus College, New College and St Catherine’s College, have joined forces to launch Oxford Cymru, our community outreach programme for Wales! By working together, these colleges will ensure that for the first time the University of Oxford is able to offer a coherent outreach programme that covers the whole of Wales.
Our aims are ambitious:
- To provide sustained outreach support across ALL regions of Wales for students, teachers and prospective university applicants from underrepresented groups.
- To encourage and inspire Welsh students of all ages and from all backgrounds to enjoy their learning, be independent learners, have the confidence to be themselves and to be ambitious about their futures.
- To improve the educational opportunities of all students.
- To help those in Wales aiming for top universities to achieve their goal.
- Working with the rest of the University towards the goal that by 2023 the number of students from currently under-represented groups is increased from 15% of the current UK undergraduate intake to 25%.
- For Oxford University to be a realistic goal for anyone with academic talent and commitment.
Over the coming years Oxford Cymru will work with schools and colleges in the following areas:
Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Isle of Anglesey, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Neath Port Talbot, Newport, Pembrokeshire, Powys, Rhondda, Cynon, Taff, Swansea, Torfaeu, Vale of Glamorgan, Wrexham.
As well as working with the Seren network across Wales, Oxford Cymru is also developing partnerships with local authorities, multi academy trusts and social mobility organisations.
We do not expect to make radical changes overnight, but hope to build lasting partnerships across the region which will benefit the whole school community, as well as our University, for generations to come.
More information is available for students, teachers and families. Plus, you can learn more about Oxford and Seren and meet our students.
This is available at: https://www.ox.ac.uk/oxfordcymru/about-us or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org