Matriculation, the ceremony when students formally join the University, takes place on Saturday of First Week. Instructions are sent to Freshers before they arrive at the University, and again before the ceremony itself.

All students are required to matriculate, unless they are visiting or Exchange Students. Full academic dress is required at the ceremony, which consists of a dark suit, trousers or skirt coupled with a white collared shirt or blouse, and a black tie or white bow tie. Dark socks, Black tights or stockings and black shoes must be worn, along with a dark coat, if required. Finally, a mortar board or soft cap and gown must also be worn, which are readily available from any Oxford academic outfitter.

There are small matriculation ceremonies at the end of each term to matriculate students who are admitted after the start of Michaelmas Term, or who may have been given special permission to matriculate later.

Examination Information

You must know your candidate number before sitting any examination. It can be found on the Examination and Assessment Information page in Student Self Service.

If you need alternative arrangements for examinations owing to a disability, injury, medical condition, or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia, or if for religious reasons you may not sit examination papers on particular days or special dates, permission for alternative arrangement’s must be obtained through the College from the Proctors. Please contact the Academic Office, at the earliest possible opportunity and preferably the start of the academic year, if you think you may need any alternative arrangements.

Getting a transcript or letter of confirmation


Official transcripts are produced by the University of Oxford’s Degree Conferrals Office for all students who commenced their studies since Michaelmas Term 2007  (see the University website for details).

For students who commenced their studies before Michaelmas Term 2007, St Catherine’s can provide a statement giving details of dates of attendance, programme of study, examinations taken, marks achieved and degree class.

If you require confirmation that you are, or have been, a student at St Catherine’s (and your degree classification if you have already graduated) please use the online letter of confirmation request form. Please log on to Student Self Service to obtain a Council Tax letter for your Oxford address.

Please select a valid form.

If you commenced your studies before Michaelmas Term 2007 and require a breakdown of your marks, please use the online St Catherine’s transcript request form.

Transcript Request

Transcript Request Form

Please note that at least a week’s notice is required to produce letters of confirmation and transcripts when the Academic Office is open.

If you have any difficulty with these forms you can email us with the following information:

  • Whether you are requesting a letter of confirmation or a transcript
  • Your full name
  • Matriculation year
  • Programme of study and subject
  • If requesting a transcript, which marks you would like included (e.g. Prelims/Mods/Finals/All)
  • Title of thesis or dissertation, if applicable
  • Number of copies you would like
  • Address you would like the letter or transcript sent to (current students – letters will be sent to your pigeonhole, unless an address outside Oxford is provided)

What is a College Advisor?


All graduate students are assigned a College Advisor, who is usually a Fellow of the College.

Your College Advisor can:

  • provide pastoral support, for example on health, personal or coping issues, and/or direct you to appropriate persons for assistance;
  • monitor your progress, by discussing your University supervision reports and by being available for consultation, either in person or by email;
  • discuss with you any problems or difficulties you may be experiencing in your Department or Faculty, and/or with your supervisor;
  • consult the Tutor for Graduates if there are concerns about your academic progress and if you appear to be experiencing difficulties with your academic work;
  • offer guidance on sources of support available within the College and University.

In addition your College Advisor may be able to offer you advice on academic-related matters such as: applications for research funding, conferences and seminar attendance, publication and career plans. College Advisors would not normally be expected to provide academic references, as others are better placed to do so. They might provide a reference for other purposes, such as Junior Deanship, or a character reference.

Your College Advisor is not expected to perform the role of your Department or Faculty Supervisor(s), and is not responsible for directing your academic work or for giving detailed academic guidance.

You will first meet your College Advisor during your first term, and you are encouraged to contact your College Advisor as and when you need advice or help. (You should also feel free to consult other College Officers as necessary: see below.)

Your College Advisor may be changed during periods of sabbatical or other academic leave. Should there be reasons for you to seek a change of Advisor, you should contact your Tutor for Graduates.

Further information

This guidance focuses specifically on the role of your College Advisor. Your College Advisor will be able to direct you to relevant sources of advice and support, which you should feel free to consult as necessary. These might include (but are not limited to):

  • College Dean or Junior Deans
  • MCR President or MCR Welfare Officers
  • College Nurse or College Doctor
  • College Tutor for Graduates
  • College Academic Office
  • College Accounts Office

You should also feel free to discuss your work and any attendant difficulties with your Supervisors or Course Directors. If for any reason discussion of problems with your Supervisors or Course Directors is difficult, there are other avenues open for obtaining advice and help, including contacting the Tutor for Graduates.

Providing feedback on your teaching and supervision

Teaching Questionnaire for Undergraduate and Visiting Students


The new and improved Teaching Questionnaire makes it quicker and easier than ever to give feedback on the teaching you have received this term. We are interested in capturing examples of best practice as well as areas for improvement. Please take a few minutes to share your thoughts with us.

Take the survey here »

(Although you’ll need your Single Sign-On to access the form, this information won’t be captured when you submit. All feedback will remain anonymous unless you choose otherwise.)