Health & Welfare

The Dean, Professor Richard Bailey, oversees student welfare and discipline. He is assisted by resident Junior Deans, who can also often act as a first line of communication between the students and the Dean, and who are fully qualified to advise on personal welfare matters. To contact the Dean directly, or to make an appointment, please contact his PA, Lizzie Andrews on 01865 271701

Junior Deans


Katri Eeva
Matthew Fisher
Liam Saddington


Zoe Nunn
Liam Saddington
Marleen Schoenfeld
Bradley Sheath

For further details please see the Junior Deans Poster displayed on each staircase in the College.

Welfare Reps


In addition to the Junior Deans, our JCR and MCR have Female and Male Welfare Reps:


Sian Mathur
Tom Graham

Matthew Emmett
Rachael Parker Allen
Rory Sinnott


General MCR Welfare Enquires
Ikuya Aizawa

When students seek advice about personal problems, they can also approach one of the panel of College Advisors, who include both a male and a female Fellow who are also Harassment Advisors. For other matters, students can contact the University Student Counselling Service which is staffed by qualified counsellors. The student welfare services are explained in detail in the Medical and Personal section of the Information and Regulations for Members of College which is issued to all students.

The College Advisors are:

Professor Richard Todd
Professor Gaia Scerif

For information about University services please see the Health and Welfare section of the Student Gateway.



St Catherine’s is committed to providing effective support so all our students may achieve their academic potential. As such, we are signed up to the principles of the University’s Common Framework for Supporting Disabled Students, and we work closely with the University’s Disability Advisory Service (DAS) to offer information, assistance and support to students with any disability that may impact on their academic, social or residential experience at Oxford.

Overseeing St Catherine’s provision is the Academic Registrar, Cressida Chappell, who acts as Disability Lead and Co-ordinator.

In our experience, support can be most effective if we are provided with the details of any disability or chronic condition as soon as possible. If you are coming to study at St Catherine’s and have not yet disclosed a disability or chronic condition, we encourage you to get in touch with Georgina Heywood, the Disability Officer at the DAS who is linked to St Catherine’s, and also to complete the DAS Registration & Study Support Form as soon as possible. All disclosures are treated confidentially. Prospective applicants and current students are encouraged to contact the St Catherine’s Disability Lead and Co-ordinator, Cressida Chappell, or take a look at the Disability Advisory Service website for further information.

Medical Staff


The College Nurse is the initial contact in cases of minor illness or accidents. Her hours are listed below, and she can be found in Room 1 of Staircase 1. She can be contacted via email or Tel: 01865 271719

College Nurse Hours for the remainder of Trinity Term

Thursday 13 June – 11:30am – 1pm
Friday 14 June – 9am – 2pm

Monday 17 June – 9am – 2pm
Wednesday 19 June – 9am – 2pm
Thursday 20 June – 9am – 2pm

Wednesday 26 June – 9am – 2pm
Thursday 27 June – 9am – 2pm

The Nurse acts in consultation with the College Doctors, Dr Naomi Drury and Dr Mary-Kate Kirkaldy, who have a medical practice in the centre of Oxford (see below for details).

Dr Naomi Drury & Dr Mary-Kate Kirkaldy

College Doctors
King Edward Street Medical Practice
9 King Edward Street, Oriel Square
Tel: 01865 242657
Monday to Friday 8:30 – 18:00




Dental provision for the University of Oxford is undertaken by Studental (Tel: 01865 689997). A full range of NHS treatments is available at Studental (with the exception of Orthodontics), and student members are charged NHS rates. Further details are available from the College Nurse’s surgery.

Emergency out-of-hours dental treatment

In addition, emergency out-of-hours dental advice and treatment is available by telephoning 111 during the following times:

Monday – Thursday 18:30 – 21:30
Saturday – Sunday 9:00 – 18:00
Bank Holidays & Bank Holiday Weekends 9:00 – 17:00 / 18:00 – 21:00



College Counsellor

The College Counsellor, Susanna Lee, is available in college on an appointment basis and can be contacted by email: