Live at Catz

Live at Catz

There are many options when it comes to fixing your accommodation needs, but it is worthwhile investigating these early on, once you have received an offer of a University place.

College Accommodation

The College has approximately 72 single study bedrooms provided for incoming graduates. Up to 30 rooms are in the main College site, with shared bathroom and kitchenette facilities. Windows take up an entire wall of the room, which add a feeling of lightness and space, and these provide views across the river gardens, meadows, or the College's main quad. Click here for images of typical graduate room in the main College site.

Breakfast, lunch, cafeteria-style dinner (known as "Scaf"), and a three-course served evening meal are provided in the dining hall on a pay-as-you-eat basis. In addition, the "Buttery" is open on weekdays for mid-morning or afternoon snacks. Catering provided in the dining hall is open to all students of the College whether or not they live in College accommodation. The small kitchenettes on each floor of the accommodation in College are normally shared between 8-10 students. They contain a fridge, toaster, kettle and hob; and are ideal for fixing a snack. Please note that if you wish to cook meals, you will need to bring induction compatible pots and pans.

A further 42 rooms are located in St Catherine’s House on Bath Street, a 15-minutewalk away from the College. These rooms are arranged in clusters of 3, 5 or 6 rooms with shared bathroom and cooking facilities. St Catherine's House is situated on a quiet street, with many rooms having views over the Angel and Greyhound Meadow. These rooms are designed as self-catering rooms, but in common with all other members of the College, St Catherine's House residents are welcome to take meals in the College hall. There is no common room or lounge at St Catherine’s House. Students are welcome to use the MCR common room for socialising.Click here for a fllor plan of St Catherine's House, here for images of typical rooms in St Catherine's House, and here for an introduction from the MCR President

Our standard graduate residentail agreements run for 38 weeks, allowing you to remain in your room during the Christmans and Easter vacations. All students are required to sign a residentail agreement prior to arrival.

If you would like to express a preference for college accommodation when submitting your application to the University, please tick the box provided on the application form. Priority is given to those coming to the College from the greatest distance and likely to experience difficulties in the local accommodation market. Further guidance will be forthcoming should the College make you an offer of a place. However, please note that decisions regarding the allocation of college accommodation are made during July.


The College completely closes for the two weeks over Christmas and New Year, the week over Easter and may close for the first two weeks of August. During this period all College staff are on vacation except for the Maintenance Department. For students living in College over this period there is no catering provided in College, no cleaning staff and no administrative staff. Maintenance uses these few weeks in the year to complete major project works; over this time heating, water and electricity may-be cut off for certain periods.


The College has a launderette on site that provides washers and dryers for student use. The launderette is open 24 hours and students pay for the facility. Similar launderette arrangements are present at St Catherine’s House. An ironing room is provided on Staircase 2 free of charge.

Problems with machines should be reported via the telephone number posted in the Laundry. You should contact with problems related to payment/over-payment.


All rooms in College have data-points for connection to the Internet. For further information please see

University Accommodation

The College can assist applicants coming to Oxford with partners/and or children by facilitating contact with the University of Oxford Accommodation Office which has some provision for those coming to Oxford with partners and/or children. If you wish to pursue this particular option, please inform the Admission Office (Email:

The University's Accommodation Office lets and manages rooms, flats and houses on sites owned by the University in and around Oxford city centre which are available for graduate students. As soon as you receive an offer of a place on a University course, you become eligible to join their waiting lists. We recommend that you apply for accommodation as early as possible. The University Student Pad website allows students and staff to easily search online for a range of University, College and private housing in Oxford, including rooms, flats, houses to share and flats and houses for couples or families. All accommodation featured has the relevant Landlord’s Gas Safety Certificates, Tenancy Deposit Scheme details and EPC (Energy Performance Certificates) where applicable.

Private Housing

There are many other sources of help on the Web to find suitable private housing. You might like to check local listings, such as the Daily Information. Oxford University Student Union produces an annual Living Out Guide. This useful publication takes you through the steps of finding private accommodation, and offers lots of local contacts and advice. This is recommended for anyone who is new to the city and Oxford area.