Timeline

Timeline

1852    Royal Commission proposes the creation of a category of Non-Collegiate Students as part of its recommendation to reform Oxford and Cambridge Universities.
1868    Delegacy for Unattached Students formed. First group of Unattached Students allowed to matriculate.
1884    Delegacy for Unattached Students renamed as Delegacy for Non-Collegiate Students.
1931    Delegacy for Non-Collegiate Students renamed St Catherine’s Society.
1952    Alan Bullock, Fellow of New College, appointed Censor.
1956    Censor Bullock obtains agreement from the University to turn the Society into a fully residential college.
1960    Eight acres of Holywell Great Meadow acquired from Merton College. Arne Jacobsen appointed to design and furnish the College and design its gardens. Alan Bullock appointed first Master. HM The Queen laid foundation stone in Holywell Great Meadow.
1962    St Catherine’s College opened.
1964    Ceremonial opening of the College by Harold Macmillan as Chancellor of the University.
1974    Women first admitted to the College.
2012    The College celebrates its 50th anniversary.